Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Card Table Makeover




As you know when you get a burst of energy you have to jump on all the things you put off, couldn't get done or had no energy to do. Even if you know your going to pay for it later, unfortunately. Lately I seem to be more stressed than ever, out of key supplements, and generally not having a good few months.
I am back on the coffee because of it and it's terrible for my adrenals (about to "quit again) ..but today's post isn't about how I am doing. It's about what I have been doing.
Spring has Sprung!

Being cooped up in the house has had me on Pinterest a lot, and other random websites. It sparked a mental fire to get things done but since disability pays crap and work is only part time and sporadic, there are a lot of projects around here I had no money to start. So looking around, facebook, craigslist, my backyard and other places, I found a few things I can do for free or next to nothing. Then I just waited for the energy. And It came in an unlikely place. Stress. Although my brain feels like its melting, I want to drive far far away from my house some days, and I think I am going crazy....rather than eat or stay in bed (which are both VERY TEMPTING) I started some projects. And I have found focusing on that rather than all the crazy going on right now..its very helpful.


Covering a Card Table

What you will need:
1 1/2 yards of fabric
1 1/2 yards of vinyl (8-12 gauge)
Staple gun or stapler
Socket  or screwdriver

Hubby's Butt Ugly Table

Flip it over

Find the right socket (or screwdriver)


Unscrew all the screws and the remove the metal frame

This is the table without the frame

Pick your fabric. I got this at Target it was just a wool tablecloth on clearance for only 3.97!!! I got 2 because I loved it and knew I could find a use for them.

Lay your fabric wrong side up, smooth it out and place the table on top. A staple gun is easiest. Mine only had staples that were too long and would poke right through the other side so I had to resort to a regular stapler. Oh YES you bet, my hand were KILLING me afterwards. Whatever works! 


Staple the middle section on one side, then go to the opposite side and pull the fabric tight and staple in the middle. Then do the side, again  pull the fabric tight and staple.  Lift it up and check that the fabric is still smooth and then do the last side (in the middle). Now with each side you can work your way out to the corners with the stapler, pulling and stapling, pulling and stapling. Corners are  the same start in the middle and staple. then pull the sides around and staple them down. 

Now after you have finished make sure you use a LINT roller and get any fuzz or lose string off before you cover it! You don't want to have something random stuck under the vinyl driving you nuts or have to take the table apart to get it out. 

Do the same steps with the vinyl. I recommend 8 or 10 or 12 gauge for the vinyl. Any thinner it will tear, stain or get misshapen too easily. If its any thicker than 12 it will be too thick to lace the table frame on easily, but you are free to do whatever you want!!  I also recommend that if you want to have less work pulling and smoothing the vinyl take a hair dryer to it and from a distance  (you dont want to melt it!) wave the dryer around to get the wrinkles out...though as you can see here I felt no desire to go that extra mile. Woops!

So here is the finished table. A great improvement over what it was before. Now I wont be scrambling for a table cloth every time we use it and I can just wipe it down rather than have to also wash the tablecloth that I used. Anything that can be done around your house to make life easier, or for you to have less work is a win in my book.. Our bodies really cant go forever like the energizer bunny.
So total cost of project was $8.96
Tablecloth $3.97
Vinyl $4.99 
 (It was $9.98 because I got 2 yards but I used a 50% off coupon!)


1 comment:

  1. wont be scrambling for a desk material every time we use it and I can simply wipe it down relatively than have to additionally wash the tablecloth that I used.

    http://www.tablethrows.com.au/

    ReplyDelete