Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Is "Autoimmune Paleo" an Oxymoron?


I am not going to go into all the details on the Paleo diet, OR the Autoimmune diet. There are so many resources on the web, all you have to do is a quick search. There are more popping up daily as these have been the "new" approaches to healthy eating and also helping with a variety of health conditions. 
So here we have a few great resource: The Paleo Mom, AIP Lifestyle, and Autoimmune Paleo.
Now its pretty clear the difference between them both so my question is WHY is there a term "Autoimmune Paleo" to begin with? They arent the same. They are similar but NOT the same. 


"The Paleolithic diet, also popularly referred to as the caveman dietStone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional diet designed to emulate, insofar as possible using modern foods, the diet of wild plants and animals eaten by humans during the Paleolithic era.[1] Proponents of the diet therefore recommend avoiding any foods that they claim were not available to humans at that time, including dairy products, grains, legumes, processed oils, and refined sugar."

Well, that actually means  it should be devoid of any chemicals, additives, hormones, gmo's, or anything else we started adding in the 40's (and more aggressively in the 70"s).
So wouldn't that mean to be Paleo is to eat ALL organic all the time? 
again"..designed to emulate, insofar as possible using modern foods"
So that means you can' "really" be Paleo, just pretend  to be, and get as close to possible. I am not knocking it all. It is much healthier to avoid processed foods than to NOT. And your health can take a dramatic and beneficial turn. I myself did it for a while and felt great. But quite frankly I am uncomfortable calling myself Paleo because it truly by definition is not. 


 "Clean eating" is more appropriate.  " Real" foods -- those that are un- or minimally processed, refined, and handled, making them as close to their natural form as possible."


On the Paleo list of "ok" foods are eggs, flours, tomatoes, nuts & seeds just to name some. Also healthy fats include a list of  foods that are not all AIP approved. So You can't do both. You have to be on a Paleo diet or an Autoimmune diet. Nothing I have read fully explains the reasoning behind the term "Autoimmune Paleo" other than for the reintroduction of foods afterwards if you are using AIP as an elimination diet. You are urged to say Paleo by most advice. (*Of course it depends on what list/site you use.)

VIA  Mickey Trescott

There are some like myself who are not doing it as a 30 day,  6 month, or even a year program as I've read some bloggers have tried. If you stay on the AIP program "for life"
you are not Paleo.You cant be. 
Just because a vegetarian has a burger once doesn't mean the are no longer vegetarian.
If on AIP and you have a piece of wedding cake it does not mean you aren't on the AIP program any longer.
AS WITH ANY diet or lifestyle change, a treat, an allowance or even just unavoidable circumstances is perfectly ok. You may feel sick but you wont die!
Via Paleo Living Magazine

SO regardless if I stay Aip or not, I will never say I am Paleo again unless I am off AIP and actually on the Paleo diet. Its an oxymoron as far as I am concerned. But I will be thankful,  no matter what anyone wants to call it, that organic food is available, that my health is betting better, and we can continue to learn how to heal our bodies with food. 
Nerd Fitness: Beginners Guide to the Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet
Pro's and Con's of Paleo via Huffington Post
A Clean Plate
PaleoNonPaleo: Is the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol too hard?



3 comments:

  1. Have you read "It Starts with Food"? They do a good job there of explaining not only Paleo but the Auto-Immune protocol. Paleo is not one-size fits all, and you can follow an auto-immune protocol within it by avoiding the AI foods (in addition to other non-Paleo foods). As far as flours, that's a bit misleading as the only flours really Paleo are those made from nuts and seeds (not your typical wheat, or even rice, flours), keep in mind that grains as a whole are typically not considered Paleo. Of course, the definition of Paleo, and what fits in the diet, seems to vary depending on who you ask.

    I'm with you in that I do more "clean eating" than strictly following Paleo or AIP for that matter. I do my own thing based on what I know works for my body (and still working to figure that out as it changes constantly). I do avoid most non-Paleo foods, but I still eat beans, and some grains in moderation. There are also some highly encouraged Paleo foods that I do avoid because my body doesn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read that and it is a great resource, as well a couple others. I just have a hard time using the 2 in the same context when they are they are not exactly the same. BUT, I have been accused of taking things too literally many (many) times! Like you said, it's constantly changing for me as well. It's an ongoing experiment what my body likes and doesnt, but so far a "mostly strict" AI diet has been the best. Of course there is n occasional cheat which I later pay for. I miss a lot of things, and sometimes I think I might explode I want certain things so badly, but I'd rather miss out on things sometimes than get thrown a prescription, be in bed or miss one of the kids activities simply because of something I ate. I just do so wish AI and Paleo would not be used together as ONE word to describe the diet. Sigh..cant change the world lol!

      Delete
  2. Having Trouble FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to munch on some tasty recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete